Storage for your herb blends is something one should always consider! As most of you have come to experience, proper curing and the right amount of moisture helps accent flavor. In this edition we’ll take a look at a portable solution which offers an answer to questions often asked: How best to carry herbs without any prevalent smell or loss of moisture?
Personally, I am fond of companies that can re-purpose rubbish and recycle them into new products. Such is the container we get to review today from manufacturer JyARz. Made of 100% post-consumer (recycled) milk jug plastic and glass this handy storage container features not one but two airtight seals to ensure freshness and retain moisture.
JyARz is committed to selling the best and “greenest” portable glass-lined, reusable and recyclable jars on earth.
What comes in the box?
- 1 x JyARz Recycled Plastic Tube (hard shell)
- 1 x Pre-installed Latex Gasket (FDA food-safe latex)
- 1 x Glass Core (made from borosilicate glass)
- 1 x Small Informational Insert (details on latex smell)
- Chopped herbs 3.5 – 4 grams loose packing.
- Chopped herbs 5.66 grams tight packing.
- Plastic Tube Length – 3 “
- Plastic Tube Width – 1 ¼ “
- Glass Core Length – 2 ½“
- 1.5 ounces OR 44 grams
Cost, varies by quantity*:
- 1x $12.95
- 2x $12.00
- 3x $11.50
- 4x $11.00
* Estimated costs and shipping based on US Customers.
- Likens to the shape of the old plastic containers used to hold camera film.
- Subtle branding of the JyArz Logo on the plastic tube cap keeps their design sleek and minimalistic .
- When reading about latex in the description there might be misconception with this storage units durability.
- The outer shell is indeed a hardened plastic offering sufficient protection for the glass core.
- The product is advertised as shock resistant:
- We gave it a few accidental fall tests to test these claims.
- I dropped the container both empty and filled from 4′ feet to a hard wood floor.
- Both times the JyARz passed with flying colors and there was no sign of damage to the glass core.
- The units are modular, and replacement parts readily available.
- Replacements parts for both the glass core and latex gasket may be purchased on their site.
- The modular design helps reduce the need to purchase more units than you require.
- Regarding the JyARz seal(s):
- I submerged the JyARz under 6” of water and did not show any traces of water leakage.
- I used peppermint leaves test their seals “airtight” claims. After 8 hours in a confined space the JyARz did not release any noticeable odors.
- I kept some herbs contained inside for three days. They did not appear to lose any moisture levels and when vaporized, still tasted fresh.
- To their credit the inner seal formed between the latex gasket and glass core really work effectively with each other.
- The glass core removes from the plastic tube, revealing the JyARz branding on the glass.
- Attention to detail is evident from this USA manufacturer.
The bottom Line:
- I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a portable storage container due to the airtight and water resistant functionality.
- Noted their site does not make any claims for it being water resistant/proof, but I did not find any traces of water during my tests.
- Also the JyARz did float making it an excellent option for water sport enthusiasts.
- JyARz can easily be carried in your pocket / backpack / purse and withstands moderate abuse.
- It’s airtight features help mitigate odor making this a solid choice for discreetly storing herbs and tobacco.
- Consumer piece of mind: You are helping reduce waste by purchasing goods made out of recycled products.
1% of sales donated to organizations researching effects of plastic trash in our oceans
- JyARz are formidable in their claim at being …the last portable jar you’ll ever buy.
- I think the designers have a great product and could see additional sales in offering larger sized units(for home use).
- As for their flagship product, their JyARz are certainly a great choice for your on-the-go storage needs!
For more details on the product and ordering we suggest the manufacturer Website: http://www.jyarz.com/
Allergen Caution Advisory:
- The gasket that seals the contents in a JyAR is made from 100% FDA approved food grade latex.
- If you are allergic to latex they do not recommend you use JyARz!
- They are looking to come out with a seal that is Silicone-based eventually but for now – People allergic to latex please beware!